Tuesday 25 October 2011

Fibre Day - the Day After

Well I had intended to add to to yesterday's post...but I've had no internet.

Engineer turned up about 11am, with instructions to just fit the fibre modem and activate the line. No setting up of equipment. Which was fine, since I had no equipment. The router I'd ordered from Plusnet hadn't arrived. The engineer fitted the modem, activated the line and tested it. All green from the Exchange end. Except I had no router. My ADSL was now Fibre, and hence my old Modem/Router was now unusable.

The engineer said he did have a Plusnet router in the van, for testing purposes. If Plusnet authorised it, he could give me that. We rang Plusnet. They okayed it with the engineer and also apologised for the fact that they had been having stock problems, and the router was only being posted today. Unfortunately the standard lead time is 3-5 working days! In consolation they knocked a week off my next bill.

The engineer got the modem out...only to find out it was a standard Thompson ADSL router. So as much use as my old Netgear. So there we were. No broadband for 3-5 days. OK, I could cope, but the kids were devastated. A 13 year old with an Xbox who can''t connect to XBoxLive? Disaster!

Anyway, just had a phone call from the wife. The router has arrived by Courier. Hooray!! So I'll see how easy it is to set up this evening...

Oh and by the way, the problems I experienced yesterday? Yes, it was the Switch. It has finally broken and was dragging the whole network down to 10Mb/s. I've bought a new one.

No comments: