Monday 24 October 2011

Fibre Day #1

It's the day of the big changeover. The engineer is booked in for today. So far nothing has happened.

Actually that's not true. Something odd's going on, and I don't know if it's related to the change from ADSL to fibre or not. Amy complained almost immediately this morning that the internet wasn't working. I checked, and sure enough it wasn't. Did the usual "switch everything off and on again" and it came back. However something's up with our PCs' network cards. Yes PC plural. We have 4 that are on most of the time. Two Windows XP and a couple of Linux boxes (Freenas and Mandriva). All were reporting they were connected to a 10Mbs network instead of the usual 100.

Unless my switch has decided to go wrong, this seems to be from the router. I can only surmise it's to do with the fact that we're switching over today. We had an email from Plusnet saying "your product change is now complete", and a look at their site confirms I am now on Fibre broadband (even though I'm not yet). I'll wait and see what happens when the engineer comes.

No comments: