Monday 31 October 2011

Fibre Broadband - the first week

OK, it's been about 7 days now, and how's the Fibre broadband been? Well, I'm above the 9Mbps threshold...providing I connect direct to the router! Yes, my Homeplugs are a bottleneck. If I plug a laptop directly into the router I can get about 32Mbps download, which is about full speed. Speed tests on PC connected via Homeplugs only max out at 11Mbps.

Needless to say I have ordered some replacement Homeplugs - the 200Mbps variety. Other than that, it's so fast, and yet so smooth. The ability to get content that used to take hours, in only a few minutes, is phenomenal.

The increase in Allowance is amazing too. I was restricted to 13GB per month during Peak hours. Admittedly Peak was between 4pm and Midnight, but still we didn't do much more than 120GB of usage per month, and about 40GB of that was overnight anyway.

Now Peak is between 8am and Midnight, but the Allowance is now 120GB. Which equates to just under 4GB a day. We're currently doing between 1.5 and 2 per day so far.

All in all a resounding success. Now all I need is to find a buyer for the old router and the slower Homeplugs....

No comments: