Wednesday 14 December 2011

Dave's 500 Bus Albums No 19 - Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" (1994)

This is the Eagles' second live album, the title of which refers to a quote by Don Henley after the band broke up in 1980, commenting on when the band would play together again. Upon it's release in 1994 it went straight to No. 1 on the US Billboard album chart and stayed there for the next two weeks.

I really wanted to like this album. I'm not a great fan of the Eagles, but they were around in the 70s and 80s when I was growing up, and I was given "One of The Nights" for Christmas 1975 (I like almost every track). However I didn't hear much before that album and I kind of lost touch with them after "Hotel California" (which I frankly heard far too damn much of on the radio at the time!).

Unfortunately one of the styles of music I really dislike is Country & Western (the other is Gangster Rap), and this album is mostly C&W. The first four tracks are new studio recordings, and the first of these, "Get Over It" is a storming slice of West Coast Rock. Sadly from then on down we're into slow slide-guitar and whiny vocals territory. I lasted until track 8 and then I switched off. I'm sure it's a great album if you really like the Eagles, but it's one I won't be keeping on the player.

No comments: