Wednesday 7 December 2011

Dave's 500 Bus Albums No 14 - Sophie Ellis-Bextor "Make a Scene" (2011)

I like Sophie Ellis-Bextor. Partly because she's got an unusual elf-like face, but mainly because she sings in an English accent, rare these days when everyone sounds American. I know this is apparently because the American accent is the easiest accent to sing in, but it's quite refreshing to hear someone pronounce "Dance" as "Darnce", and "past" as "parst".

Her first album saw her introduced as a bit of a pop diva, but over the years she seems to have firmly slotted into the "Dance/Trance" niche, which is no bad thing if you like that genre. This album is no exception. Sophie's precise, slightly nasal vocals ride above a wave of neatly programmed pulsating trance rhythms and to be honest it's almost a little too Ministry of Sound for me. It meanders a bit more than her earlier stuff, but then this is always the case (and the point) with Trance. It's designed as an aural environment for you to immerse yourself in, and in a club it probably works very well. Unfortunately on the bus it has a more soporific effect. Consequently I enjoyed what I heard...I just can't remember hearing most of it as I was asleep.

No comments: