Friday 20 January 2012

Dave's 500 Bus Albums No 26 - Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen "Lost in the Ozone" (1971)

Well after the pleasant surprise of their live album, I thought I'd give Commander Cody & his crew another chance. This is their debut album from 1971 and...yes it's just as good as the '76 live one. Which goes to show what a consistent band they were. I now feel confident that if I pick up any Commander Cody album from the 70s I'm probably going to like it.

This isn't whiny and slow Country & Western, this is fast and furious good-time Texas boogie-woogie Rock 'n Roll, done perfectly. If you dropped into a Texas Truck Stop bar you'd probably hear this music coming from the juke box or (if you were real lucky) being played live on stage.

While the Psychedelic party of the '60s was metamorphosing into the pompous Heavy Rock of the '70s, Commander Cody and his band were carving out their own little niche in the genre. In fact I'd go so far as to say they probably invented the genre.

A far better album than you expect it to be, and if you've never heard this style of music before, a refreshing change from what you're used to.

No comments: